Monday 4 March 2013

Ready-made Masalas {Cooking}

Asalamalaikum Sisters :D

Growing up our mum used to take us along to South Asian dinner parties (Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi/FijianIndian/SriLankan) on weekends and we used to be sitting squashed on a couch next to two aunties listening to their conversations. One thing I learnt from most of them was that using ready-made masalas like "shan masalas" and "mdh masalas"  was an insult to cooking and a scar on the name of perfect housewifeness. We watched intently as they upturned their pierced noses and scoffed at those hopeless cooks who used them.

My generation is a little different. We tend to use them at the slightest chance. Cheating our ways to entrees, main meals, desserts and snacks tasting perfect every time. 
These masalas make Indian cooking in the kitchen a more youth-friendly experience. They save time, energy and although they compensate on taste and health, they save quite a bit of time. Alhamdulilah I am enjoying the extra time saved in avoiding the effort of grinding, measuring, roasting, frying, mortar and pestling etc. I am finding myself with alot more spare time on my hands to spend with my children, to explore more on blogging and most importantly to learn more about Islam.
The other day sister2 made a biryani without store bought masalas and there was a clear comprimise on taste. Nothing beats the real deal.
I am on two opinions in this issue. I am worried that there


As for the upturned nosed aunties, they all had Shan Masalas in their pantries - whether they owned up to it or not lol. 

Lot of love to my Indian aunties you taught me so much, 

Umm Maryam.

No comments:

Post a Comment